Monday, July 6, 2009

Papers, papers and still more papers!!!


Isn´t it interesting how in the midst of any significant life event you can find something that just doesn´t seem to fit what you would have expected? Not that it is necessarily bad, just seeming out of place or comically ironic. I guess I should explain as somehow I feel that my mental and emotional sentiment didn´t quite come out straight in that first few sentences.
All my life I have dreamt of being a mommy. I played with dolls whose eyes opened and closed, I even remember wrapping a hot water bottle in a blanket with my doll once so that it would feel more ´real´. I babysat since I was 11 years old and probably from that point on began in earnest to research and file away in my mind little glimpses into parenthood that I observed all around me. From there a certain picture began to form in my mind of what it would be like to be a mom. Clearly there were portions of that image that were rather ´rose colored´but life is too short to be a total realist so I don´t regret that at all. But I do have to say that no where in my WILDEST dreams did I ever envision changing diapers on the way to the notary, or packing a bottle to take along while being fingerprinted, or pouring a bath for the baby while placing long distance phone calls asking for documents to be sent via FedEx.
It is such a weird feeling. During the homestudy part of this process we felt as though we were drowning in paperwork that seemed to come in waves. Then when we were matched to our beautiful boy, there were a few more forms to be filed before we could fly. Now that we are here it hasn´t stopped!!! But the end is in sight. Tomorrow we go for our integration meeting with the government social worker, which marks the end of our initial bonding period. Following this meeting, the social worker will prepare a document stating that the ministry of children and families here has no objection to our adoption. With that document plus the one more coming from Canada, plus the 3 that have to be stamped tomorrow and the 2 others that we are receiving on Wednesday, the lawyer will be able to file for a court date which will finalize the adoption permanently!! Whew.
But God is good and His timing is perfect. While we chase papers and often feel that things are taking so long, He is lining up the next step in time for our feet to take it. I am so glad that He is in charge. If it was up to me I would be in big trouble. So now that the long distance call has been placed, and the notary is closed until tomorrow I am going to go and enjoy the evening with my two boys. I am going to watch my husband make our son giggle and watch my baby melt my man´s heart and thank my Father for these amazing blessings that are beyond anything I every could have imagined ¨asked or thought¨ (Eph 3:20)

2 comments:

Mom and Dad said...

You gotta learn to laugh, eh?! And I say that, and chuckle a bit while wiping the tears. Tears of joy and tears of longing to see you and hug you and hold our grandson for the first time. My heart agrees with you: "yes, our God is big enough" to bring it all together. We are so proud of you as you go where we have never gone before.
Trusting God with you,
Mom and Dad xoxoxoxoxoxoxox

Dave and Debbie Black said...

I am so blessed to be along on this journey with you. Just know that though you are thousands of miles from us physically, you are as close as a prayer in our hearts. We love you and are praying that all the paper work and red tape are soon tied up and you can be home with your little boy.
I believe that all you are going through will not be "wasted". That God will use you to encourage others just like you....little girls that have always wanted to be a mom!
We love you to the moon!
Aunty Deb and Uncle Dave