Monday, May 25, 2009

Are we there yet?

When I was a child, and we went on road trips to the country house, this was one of my favourite phrases. There were good things along the ride, for example the stop at the city border to eat strawberries with cream, the arepa with cheese towards the end of the trip and of course, the country house itself.
On the other hand, there were tedious and boring times, like waiting for an hour in traffic to get out of the city, listening to the old songs that grandpa loves to listen to (and I mean really old, old songs) and of course the very long shopping stop at the market (when we would bargain for every little cilantro bunch). So, it seems that those early lessons are yet to be applied.
I heard someone said once “if you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans” and what a truth this is. If you ask me now what I have learned, this is what I’d tell you:
- No matter how much or how little I pray, God cannot be manipulated into my schedule. God’s actions are not proportional to the prayer amount; God’s miracles are a result of a loving, tender touch from God that by His love and grace wants to be present in our lives. Our part is to be completely surrendered to Him.
- I can plan as much as I want, but it’s up to God to set the road for us and it’s up to me to walk in obedience.
- God will always be faithful, never late and always right on time.

So what now? Hey, we are the Aristizabals... we wait, and we get ready! And let God do His work, hey we have been waiting for a long time so what are just a few weeks? The strangest thing is that I have so much love for this little guy that I haven’t even met yet... maybe that is what is called fatherhood.

1 comment:

Ross and Taya said...

This is a great reminder for me as I start my day and week. We love you guys,

ross and taya